The longer I live, the more I realize that life is just lesson after lesson to be learned. Everyday could bring something new, or could just be a continuation of the same old stuff, but nevertheless, it seems that there is always some sort of growing experience taking place. I have had challenges and obstacles to overcome at almost every phase of my life, whether it be with family or friends or neighbors. Or it could be the ones that are harder to overcome, which are the battles which occur within my own self. It is during these struggles that I have been able to take a good look at my weaknesses, humble myself, and work harder to make those weak things strong. I am grateful for these experiences.
One of the less difficult struggles that I have recently overcome actually had to do with blogging. I used to read other people's blogs and think that everyone else had these great lives and that everything was seemingly "perfect" for them. It was actually pretty depressing. It wasn't too long after that my neighbor, Amy, showed me the book that she had made out of her blog. It struck me then that our day to day family life is what will make up the memories that my children will have of their childhood. I choose to record the positive things and leave out the negative ones, not because there aren't any, but simply because I don't want to be reminded of them. Is there anything wrong with recording the best parts of our lives, so that we can remember the good times when things aren't so great?
Another lesson learned recently was from a conversation I had the other day with an amazing woman. She has been under a lot of stress and pressure lately, and can at times feel like it is more than she can bear. I asked her how she was holding up these days, and she said "Great!" I was surprised by her answer, and asked her what she had felt had changed. She answered simply, "My attitude." These 2 words have come to my mind several times in the days since. Nothing has changed with her circumstances, but she is a new woman, all because of her attitude.
I guess my point is.... Is my life perfect? No. Are my kids perfect? No. Am I trying to "pretend" like they are? No. Do I live a "fairytale" life? No, of course not. I am an imperfect person living among other imperfect people and I will try my hardest to find the roses among the thorns along the path of life. And I will blog about them.
10 years ago







7 comments:
I totally agree. I had a mean anonymous post one time that said I live in a bubble and do not live in reality. It's because I choose not to write about the negative. The negative is so in my face day in and day out. It's not that I am ignoring it but I want to leave it out. It is my happy ending.
You're making me feel bad, because lately all I can do is complain and vent about the hard things in my life. I guess when my kids go back and read my blog book in 20 years they'll be able to say "okay mom had a bad day once in a while so it's okay if I do too". I definately need to change my attitude and stop feeling sorry for myself. Damn you girl!
Well said. I think the good thing about blogging is that your kids will remember things they otherwise would have forgotten were it not for you documenting the everyday events on your blog. Blogging for me has forced me to focus on the good things about our lives and my I know my kids appreciate this. They LOVE to look at our blog. Just yesterday I caught Myah watching her dance performance on the blog. Cute.
Cindy thank you so much for your post and comment. I had such a better day because I had a change of attitude. You are very wise. Hope to see you soon someday.
Thanks Cindy I really needed to read that! Because I certainly have been feeling the same about everyone elses lives! The saying that we want what we don't have or the grass is greener on the other side... Recognizing that what we do have is wonderful and being greatful for the good that comes our way! It is a day to day thing with me to remember... Again thanks
Thank you for this. It was really refreshing and gave me an extra push to take responsibility for my life and be happy. A recent difficulty in my parents' family that would be inappropriate to blog about has left me with a new courage to let alone what I can't fix and enjoy the blessings in my life. We're not acting self-rightous or bubbly- it's just seeking for the better- especially when focusing on the storm would ruin the good. It's like Billy Madison's coach said, "Block the bad- harness the good." Even Hollywood gets it sometimes! Thanks so much.
I loved this post, you are so right on. But in my eyes, your perfect:) You are my idol. I hope to be like you when I grow up. Not very many people can listen to me complain all the time and still love me like you do:) You're the best. I can't wait to see you Tuesdee.
Post a Comment