Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A "Butter" Lesson Learned


Last week I went to learn how to can butter for our R.S. Activity night. The jars, the ones that had just come out of the 250 degree oven and filled with boiling hot lava butter, were sitting there on the counter. The instructions were not to touch the lids or somehow that might "ruin" the processing. Just as I was given this bit of info, my finger came up immediately and touched the lid!

What?!?



This experience took me back to when I was a 5 year old child, partly because I felt like one again as I got "scolded" for doing it (so embarassing!) I remember standing at the stove while my mom was cooking and she had pulled the hot pan off leaving the bright red hot burner exposed. I was mesmerized by it. My Mom told me not to touch it or I would get burned. What do you think I did? You guessed it. That was when I learned a bag of frozen peas could be used as much more than a side dish.

I know that it is human nature to question and wonder, but why couldn't I just be the obedient child who could learn from other's mistakes?

I have pondered this question more since my children are getting older and I have had to give them more freedom, and have had to trust that we are teaching them what they need to know to make it in this scary world we live in. I hear myself telling them frequently that I have been where they are, and I know, and I love them and want them to be safe and happy, and if they will just learn from my past mistakes, they will save themselves from a lot of heartache. But, we all know that it can't be that easy!!

So, the moral of the story for me is..... I am so grateful for repentance, for where would I be without it?

6 comments:

Mel said...

Yeah, way to go on canning butter! That's my job this weekend along with strawberry freezer jam! What better thing to do while watching conference!!

Becky said...

I like this post. Maybe you could do a post about how to can butter. Or at least email me if no one else wants to know.

Cedar said...

I really want to learn too! I didn't know I was related to Martha Stewart? You are so domesticated. I love it.

Sassy said...

I have been wanting to do the butter too....good for you! I love your stories....I'm not sure why....but it's true sometimes the ONLY way we learn is THE HARD WAY!!!!

Jen Olson Brown said...

We are more alike than I thought. You could have superimposed your childhood memory onto my blog and it would have fit right in. I did the same thing with my mom in her kitchen. Pot goes off. The red spiral burner is just staring at me, saying "Touch me! Go ahead! You don't know if I'm hot unless you try! Check it out!" Silly us. We sure are good adults though, right?

jaredites6 said...

Cindy!!! so good to see you!
Hey, can i have the butter recipe?
here's my email and then i will send you my blog address!
jeanniearnett@cox.net